The Government has limited the types of fees landlords and letting agents can charge tenants to:

  • Rent
  • A refundable tenancy deposit capped at a maximum value of 5 weeks rent. Read more about tenancy deposits.
  • A refundable holding deposit, capped at a maximum value of 1 weeks rent, to reserve the property. Note: This isn't the same as a holding deposit and is not subject the same protection.
  • Early termination fees (if applicable)
  • Payments for outstanding utilities or services (if applicable)
  • Default fee for late payments, lost keys etc. where required under the tenancy agreement

Ongoing Costs


If your bills aren't included in your rent you'll need to consider:

  • Electricity and Gas
  • Water
  • Internet/Phone/Media
  • TV License
Council Tax

Households where everyone is a full time student do not have to pay Council Tax – see government guidance on discounts for full-time students for more.


Contents insurance will help you keep your belongings protected against risks such as fire, flood or theft. If you're in halls your provider may offer contents insurance as part of your agreement but if not you'll need to take out your own policy to protect your belongings.

Other Costs

There may be other costs you need to consider as part of moving in:

  • Do you need to buy furniture or furnishings? It's likely your room will be furnished but you may need additional storage, or bedding, cushions, pillows.
  • Do you need to buy kitchen utensils? You will probably need to bring your own cutlery, crockery, pots and pans.
  • Do you need help with Transport/Removals? If you're moving furniture or have a lot of belongings you might need to hire a van or a removal service.

If moving into a property with housemates you should co-ordinate so you don't all turn up with plates and no-one has brought knives and forks!

Powered by MSL