Planning is everything - what should you consider?
- Cost – what can you afford? Not just the rent but Broadband, TV Licence,
Utility Bills, personal property insurance etc. Be sure to check whether these are included in the
contract or if you need to budget separately for them. Read more about costs.
- Where do you want to live? Choosing between University rented accommodation or private
accommodation will have a big effect on this, University accommodation is more likely to be close to
campus. Be sure to look at transport links, you want to be sure you can get to campus easily and
without it costing too much, you should also check local amenities like shops, restaurants and bars,
parks, gyms, and places of worship.
- Who do you want to live with? Everyone is different, studying different courses, with
different demands. You might have friends you want to move in with, you might want to choose a quieter or
more lively accommodation.
- What type of property do you want to live in? The experience in halls is very
different from that in a house, or a flat or bedsit. The arrangement with your landlord may also vary. You
should know which you're interesting in living in before you start to look and understand the potential
contractual and financial differences.
Once you've answer those questions you have the criteria to help you look for properties that are of the
right type, in the right place, and within your budget. When viewing:
- View as many properties as possible that meet your criteria. Try to view in person if
you can. If you're unable to view the property in-person we have some tips on virtual viewings.
- Take a checklist when you view the property so you don't forget the things you
need to look for and the questions you
need to ask.
- Talk to people already living in the properties to find out what they think about
- If looking at private Landlords talk to other students to find out whether their
experience with the Landlord/Agent has been good or not and how they dealt with problems when they
Now you've got your plan you can start to look at properties (property directory launching soon!)